So I was wrong about Canada, at least the part about it being like the States. Very wrong. Canada is so far apart from the States that it makes you appreciate how hard they're trying to keep it that way. Probably the biggest noticeable difference is French. French is everywhere. French is on the signs, in the stores, on the food wrappers, and very much in everyone that lives in Montreal. They switch from speaking impeccable English, well, most of them, to fluent French without thinking twice, and remain very much aware from the time that a broken "Bonjour" escapes your mouth that you are not by any stretch of the imagination capable of speaking French. This fact alone makes for some very awkward cultural exchanges when you try and hide your shame of being "Monolingual". Well, I guess perhaps now I can say that I speak two lanugages, barely, but the second hasn't been very useful to me as of yet in the real world. Not to worry, I know that some day Japanese will have it's spot in the sun. Someday.
But apart from the language barrier, Montreal is a pretty neat place. By some chance if you find yourself in Canada, Montreal is a good place to go. Culutrally sophisticated, energetic, slightly seedy, and close to home. That, and the drinking age is 19. All that needs to be said.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hello,
ReplyDeleteThis entry caught my eye because well, I live in Canada. One difference I have noticed between the two is the people's attitudes philosophies to life. To me they are quite different and make the other things (e.g. French everywhere) seem almost more like similarities than differences.
I assume that you only went to Montreal, and I just have to say that Quebec by itself doesn't quite paint the whole picture. In fact, I would say the rest of Canada is the norm?
It's like only knowing Mr. Hyde or something.
Random- I also noticed that on average people look different in the U.S.(not just clothing but facial features)
For the record I found this blog through Lang-8, during my procrastination session from studying for my calculus exam.
Leo