Sunday, July 26, 2009

Rainy Sunday Afternoon

Ah, Sunday afternoon, the calm before the storm. Well, I would normally be able to say that except for the fact that it's almost storming now, but that's nothing unusual to say the least.

Cut my bangs again today, now they're just below my eyebrow. As for styling, that might prove to be a problem, but one step at a time, right? At the Japanese school is was a bit of a hair-cutting party. Kentaro and Benji had 日 and 本 shaved into the back of their heads for a bit of school spirit for the volleyball game today. Right now I can hear the cheers coming from the field a little ways away, but I thought I'd better get some study in before next week hits. That, and it's raining.

Thanks to the internet, I think I know a little 한굴 (Hangul) now! Well, at least I can recognize most of them. Speed is non-existent, but I think that will come with time. Most Korean is written in Hangul I believe, so as long as I practice a little but I don't think it should be a problem.

Typing though, is another story entirely. See, typing in Japanese couldn't be easier. You want to write 日本語, type in "Ni-ho-go" exactly as it's pronounced in Roman letters on the keyboard and Shazam! instant Japanese. They're even nice enough to change it from ひらがな, Hiragana, the phonetic alphabet, into 漢字, Chinese characters for your automatically. Korean, apparently, is another story.
Let's take the box looking thing ㅁ on the far left, where "a" should be, for example. Sadly, that's not the Korean "a". Not even close, it's "m". Now where does that put "a" you ask? ㅏis where "k" should be. This makes for a fabulous time trying to type in Korean. Every time I have to use the "keyboard viewer" and painstakingly look back and forth between typing. After awhile I should get used to it I'm sure, but in the meantime it's slow going.

Three weeks from now I'll have been home for a few days, and then three weeks from then I'll be in Ann Arbor again. Crazy to think about, as three weeks go by faster than you think. Or at least that's what I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment