So I go take out the garbage in my dorm room. When my finger touches the edge of the bag, it explodes with fruit flies. Probably around 80 million, give or take a few figures. Now, I suppose that fruit flies aren't the worst insects to run into a problem with. Hell, I used to think they were cute. But now I know the truth. They exist for one reason and for one reason only; to annoy the fuck out of you.
Just watch them fly. They don't go anywhere, just buzz around aimlessly like they've forgotten where they're supposed to go, what they're supposed to do. They remember for a moment, slowly gravitating to words the point of attraction, and then forget again. They're not very good at dodging a swat like, say, a house fly is, but they're just good enough for you to miss more often than you'd like, which only aggravates the situation. Now I'm paranoid, jumping at every shadow that moves in out of the corner of my eye, ready and poised to strike.
Recently I've been skipping breakfast for study and eating an apple or banana every morning. Sounds like an overachiever, I know, but I really do waste a lot of time walking a half mile to the cafeteria so I can eat the same oatmeal every morning. These days instead I've been getting up at the usual time, 5:30, and slowly getting myself around and studying until 7:30, when I have to leave. Not exactly what I would describe as ideal summer living conditions, but what can you do. Three weeks left, by time here is slowly running out. Tomorrow will be two weeks and six days, now that sounds even less.
And then I'll go back to Michigan, back to what I like to feel is my "normal" life.
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment